Thursday, April 27, 2006

On the Differences

I initially thought that this wasn't a very philosophic observation. However, the more I churn this around in my mind, the more it seems like it is.

I came up with this while pondering why it is that I can't remember people, more specifically, why I can't remember people's names.

My original theory was "The only way you can remember someone's name is by focusing on the differences from yourself." However, this idea seems to go beyond my simple conception. A deeper and more interesting way to think about this is that the only way you can tell two people apart is by focusing on the differences between them.

I haven't thought of every possible scenario to prove/disprove this theory, but if it truly sets up this way it makes an interesting case for racism. Could someone then make the argument that racism is natural? Or perhaps a better question: does an individualistic society makes people racist?

Differences. We focus on differences quite a bit. Probably more so than any of us even realize. It's amazing, try comparing anything. You will mention some similarities, but you'll mostly focus on the differences. What makes something different from another. What makes one thing better than another. What makes one person more interesting than another.

Oh, and for those who want closure to that story, I actually do remember people's names a lot better now, who knows why.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home